Friday, July 8, 2011

Blessings

This morning I attended a funeral for a 7 yr old little boy who lost his 3 year battle with brain cancer.  I don't know what was harder to witness--his mom telling stories about him & letting him know she'll see him again someday or his little brother clinging to his grandfather crying.

We didn't know this little boy well.  He's the great nephew of our very dear neighbors & we've been with them in thoughts & prayer since the day he found out he had a brain tumor at just 4 years old.  Our girls have prayed for him every night & even walked for him in the Relay for Life at their school.  We've cooked meals for their family with the endless hospital visits & surgeries and attended fundraisers. When I got the call that he had passed peacefully on Saturday morning, I wasn't sure how to tell the girls.  This morning when they asked where Daddy & I were going, I told them a funeral.  They asked whose & I told them H.  Josie didn't know how to react.  Jackie sat crying silently for a few minutes before she said anything.  I told them both that he is in no more pain & he's in Heaven.  We talked about how we have to keep praying for his little brother as he has lost his best friend & continue to raise money for cancer research so no more children have to have so much pain.  I was fixing the girls' breakfast then when I saw Josie get up from the table & grab her piggy bank.  She took a box they'd gotten from school to save change for cancer research & completely emptied her bank into the box.  Jackie followed her lead & did the same.  They didn't really say anything--they just did it & brought the box to me and said "Feel how heavy this is Mommy.  It's full of money to fight cancer."  Now, if you know my girls--especially Josie Mae--they're not heartless little people, but they certainly have a "thing" for their money.  This was a big deal & I could not be more proud.

My heart is heavy for this beautiful family who lost their precious little boy this week.  I cannot seem to wrap my head around the purpose or the meaning of this lost life.  But the service this morning was a complete celebration of the 7 years this amazing soul was here to bless so many lives.  H had the strength of an army of men, a smile like sunshine & a heart of gold.  His mom, S, said to live each day as it comes & live it to the fullest, just as H did.  And I don't think there's any better advice.  While I know that little man is going to be terribly missed, I feel blessed that there's one more angel on my side in Heaven.

Hug those you love just a little bit tighter & a little bit longer tonight.  Rest In Peace, H.D.S.  

No comments:

Post a Comment