Saturday, February 4, 2012

Can't

I follow this facebook page called I <3 to run.  It's fun to see the motivational pictures & quotes.  I read what the other followers write about their running goals & challenges.  I don't know that I follow it because I really *LOVE* running, but I admit I like it more & more everyday.  (Yes, Coach Bob, I said it.)  And I'm really blessed because I have a huge support group that has always encouraged me in all of my endeavors--from walking 60 miles to signing up to run a half marathon (and seriously, I'm still wondering what I was thinking!!).  I decided to find a weekly training scheduled for working up to the 13 miles online & then sort of modify it for me and my time frame.  I'm right on track here as I finish up week 5.  Today my scheduled run was 5 miles of 3/1 intervals.  Intervals I can do.  Actually, I've been doing 3 miles at a time pretty regularly for the past 3 weeks, even.  But I've only run 4 miles with the intervals 2/1 one time, 2 weeks ago.  And last weekend I skipped my long run on account of no-kid weekend.

I woke up this morning with NOTHING to do today--except the run.  My kids haven't even changed out of their pjs & it's almost 4pm.  Fun, dreary, lazy day here at the Wealer house.  But then I mentioned to Joel that today was supposed to be a 5 miler.  And he said "Well, get to it woman!"  Back to that facebook page I mentioned--many folks on there are running to prove something to people in their life who told them they CAN'T do it.  I actually have the opposite problem here in my world.  It seems that all the people around me have WAY more faith in my abilities than I do in myself.  Last fall I mentioned to seasoned running friends T & K that I was considering a half in Oct 2012 & they both quickly said, "You can do that!"  Uh, did you SEE the challenge the 5Ks have been for me?  My husband is just as bad.  Even this morning when I told him I wasn't sure if I was feeling my inner runner well enough to get 5 miles in today, he said "Of course you can do it, just get out there and do it."

I have these people all around me--near & far.  And they believe in me regarding all aspects of my life.  I had a phone conversation yesterday with a business mentor & while telling her about my ideas for 2012 (knowing me & how I sometimes *tend* to get distracted) she said, "That sounds like a great idea!  I know you'll do it!"

So, I don't have anything to prove to anyone in my life.  In fact, as far as my friends & family are concerned, I have already achieved my goals.  But the doubt lies within & I guess if that's my only challenge in reaching my goals, I can live with that....


Stay tuned for training updates!  It's gonna be an interesting ride!!

No comments:

Post a Comment