Saturday, February 5, 2011

Books, Books, Books...

My cowgirl loves to ride horses and her #1 favorite place to be is the BARN, but her 2nd favorite place is the Library.  I love that my girl loves to read.  But I'm finding it hard to keep up with her.  She reads lots of books--BIG books--and she truly comprehends them.  After the holiday break in first grade Jackie mentioned to her teacher that she'd just finished reading the 2nd Harry Potter book.  She got a smile and then the teacher decided to give her the reading comprehension test for both Book 1 & 2 to see what she comprehended.  She was surprised when Jackie got a 90% on each test.  At the end of the year I met with her teacher for some recommendations on books to have her reading over the summer that were age appropriate.  She said she had to stop with the tests to see what level she was reading at because the tests themselves were inappropriate for her age at the higher levels.

So, I write about this both to brag (because that's what moms do) & to explain my dilemma.  We have an 8 year old that would rather read than anything else if she can't be riding the horses.  But she's a reading machine!  I took her to the library on a Thursday night & had her check out 10 chapter books to keep her busy for the next 3 weeks.  She was done with them in less than 2.

Today she brought home a grade for her morning journal "check"--she got 9 out of 10.  She did everything right--name, title, 5 or more sentences, punctuation, capitilization, but she missed 1 point for NEATNESS.  When I asked her why she said "Mom, I'm sorry, but I get it done really fast so I can read."  Trying to explain how her other school subjects can't be rushed just so she has more time to read caused her to get very defensive & start to tear up.  How in the WORLD do you explain this to a child without making them feel BAD for wanting to READ!??!  How many parents would give anything for their child to miss a point for neatness so they could READ!?!?  So it's not that I'm angry with her or disappointed, which I tried to explain, but also want her to not let other things suffer for her love of reading...

SO, tonight we took a flying trip to the library to stock up again.  The librarian smiled at Jackie when she saw the 14 chapter books we were checking out and told her it was very ambitious of her to finish them in the 3 week lending period.  To many, I look like a crazy woman letting this child check out that many books.  I look like the mom who isn't setting a realistic expectation for my child.  But I assure you that it won't be a problem for her.


Here's a picture of her pile & her in the background reading Book #1 (which she DID finish in the hour & 1/2 she spent reading while I was getting dinner ready...it was 137 page book).  Oh & did I mention she reads them ALL out loud--so it takes her even longer because she's reading it out loud & not to herself.  But it's her thing. 

So, she's pretty incredible. I'm a lucky mom.  And I'm on my 2nd book since Christmas--kinda the same?  No?

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. My seven-year-old girl human sat down tonight and read over 100 pages in something like an hour. I still haven't let her read Harry Potter, though, because I'm liking staying with the more innocent stuff. I was just having a conversation tonight with another mom whose kid was also a huge reader. (The kid's now a doctoral student and she and I discuss books.) She was saying she'd send me a list of advanced books with younger themes. I'll pass it on to you when I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I love it:) Amanda (my 13 year old) is an avid reader as well. And yes, it is great on one hand, but almost obsessive on the other. Amanda brings books with her EVERYWHERE and reads all the time. She would rather read than do anything else, pretty much. So it is hard because you don't want to discourage your children from reading...but it's trying to teach them the balance. And Amanda reads out loud as well...maybe something to that? The only changes that come are bigger books and it becomes a challenge to them each time on how quickly they can get it done, or how many books they read over the weekend. But maybe our girls will grow up and be great writers:)

    ReplyDelete