Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Compromise

Last night Jackie was doing division for her math homework.  That simple part of math hit me that she is REALLY growing up.  DIVISION?  I'm not ready for this!  But, I didn't realize how well we've prepared her for being a grown up until I overheard her doing vocabulary later with her Daddy.

The word was "compromise" & I don't know the exact way it was defined in her second grade handbook, but according to Webster's New World Dictionary compromise is a settlement in which each side gives up some demands or makes concessions.


Joel was giving Jackie a real world situation in which a compromise would need to be made in order for her to better understand the meaning.  He said, "Sometimes when me & Mommy go to the movies, she wants to see a chick flick & I want to see an action adventure.  So we have to compromise.  What do you think that means?"

Jackie answered, "You go see the chick flick."

While I'm certainly not ready to release my 8 year old child into the grown up world yet, I can rest peacefully at night knowing that I've taught her the ways of marital compromise & she has a complete understanding of how it works.

2 comments: