Friday, November 11, 2011

The Rodeo

This really isn't about a rodeo with cowboys & barrel racing...but it's about *my* rodeo--and the fact that it wasn't my first one.

Just to recap for those who don't remember or never heard the story--I had my 9 pound baby boy on Nov 4, 2007.   My friend, A, had started her certification to become a personal trainer so she asked if I would be her "guinea pig" and start a routine workout schedule with her in 2008.  I said yes, but I also wanted to train for the Breast Cancer 3 Day walk that I had signed up for in October 2008.  That's when my *rodeo* began.

In the span of less than 18 months I had been diagnosed with DCIS breast cancer, had a bilateral mastectomy, reconstruction with implants, lost my best friend unexpectedly to a complication to diabetes,  found out I was pregnant, and carried & delivered a healthy 9 pound baby boy.  It was a whirlwind.  I had emotions I couldn't process.  I was ready to make a statement.  Walking 60 miles in 3 days seemed like a good start for me.

When I asked my friend A to walk with me, she didn't hesitate.  We both signed up & started the task of raising money.  We sent emails, we planned events, we started training physically.  In the process of asking for our friends & family to help us financially, we had friends ask US if they could walk WITH us.  Really?  People wanted to commit to walking 60 miles AND raise $2300 over then next 10 months WITH us?  BRING IT!  Our team started to grow.  And in October of 2008, the Pink Ladies, walked in the Washington DC Breast Cancer 3 Day--8 strong.  It was emotional.  I had friends fly up from Florida just so they could make the journey by my side.  My husband brought my 3 children down to the middle of DC on the final day--with signs--to cheer us on.  My little guy was not even a year old yet.  We did it.  We made a statement.  It was NOT easy.  But we felt like we'd done what we were meant to do & it gave me a chance to find peace with the unresolved emotions I had from the diagnosis of 2006.

My team--The Pink Ladies--took on the streets of DC in October 2008.

Don't you just wanna kiss those cheeks!?!?

My incredible family--brought tears to my eyes on Day 3 of our emotional first walk.


Fast Forward about 1 month from the end of the walk.  My feet have recovered.  Joel has just returned from a 2 week tour with the band.  I feel a lump.  On November 5, 2008, I spent 7 hours at the hospital having test after test to confirm that the cancer had returned.  Not long after that hospital visit, I got an email from the event coordinators asking me to sign up for the 3 Day walk in 2009.  Just a month before I was complete with having finished the journey once.  But there was unsettled business now that this *bitch* had returned & I felt a need to sign up again.  I sent an email to my team--who also was at peace with not walking again--and gave them the news of the lump & my decision to walk again.  I assured them that this was even more personal now and I would in NO WAY be hurt if they didn't want to walk again.  But.....

Team Candies for the Cure--Washington DC 2009
....they started signing up!  Again, my friends from FL flew up.  We had 2 new members join the team & we even had some who did CREW & took care of us that year.  Joel was away at school for 6 weeks, I got my period, I was in the midst of surgeries with one looming the following month & we were walking 60 miles in 3 days.  2009 was emotional for many additional reasons. But we did it--and we GAINED a new friend & team member that year.


My girls--the reason I walk!
I went home feeling like I had done what I needed to do.  I was at peace...again.

BUT, then I got an email...from a college marching band buddy, Hilary.  She had just completed the Chicago 3Day in 2009 with her sister, only weeks after finishing chemo for her breast cancer.  She was thinking of walking in San Diego in 2010 and wondered if my team might want to join her.  Ahhhhhhh.....HILARY!  Pass up a chance to walk into the closing ceremonies arm in arm with a dear friend who is also a survivor sister?  Well.....

Jenny's Army of Angels took off for San Diego California in November 2010!  And we did  it...again!!


It was so special getting to walk with Hilary into the closing ceremonies--first time seeing each other in over 12 years!

No really...this time I'm DONE.  There's no other way for me to express myself with the 3 Day!  BUT...my husband decided to walk with me in 2011.  And my BFF asked us to come to Dallas so she could walk with us too.  Here's the thing.  When someone is diagnosed with breast cancer, it doesn't just affect the patient.  It's a family ordeal.  My husband was at every appointment.  He drove me to & from every surgery.  He slept in a chair by my bedside in the hospital for 8 nights, so I would not have to wake up alone.  He emptied my drains, gave me baths, cooked me meals--even drove around late one night to find me hush puppies because I had a craving, kept the kids out of my way, held my hand, wiped my tears, calmed my fears.  And now this man wanted to experience my *rodeo*.  So.......

He packed up his "ta-ta" shirts & we took off for Dallas.


My entire Army of Angels flew out to Dallas for a final walk together.  Four were new, 5 of us veteran walkers.
What an amazing team of support & friendship!

Day 3 with my Angel.

Here we are a week later.  My feet feel great.  My body is recovered.  My heart is full.  I feel complete.  I am certain that I have accomplished all that I was meant to with the Breast Cancer 3 Day.  My journey with this event has come to an end.  I have asked for support for 4 years--from friends & family in the way of fundraising & prayer...and that support will never go unrecognized.  I could not have had a successful 240 mile journey over the last 4 years without everyone in my life.  Even though this was not my first *rodeo*, it is my last.  I love what this walk did for me.  I love that every fall I got to see friends from all over the country come together for one cause.  The cause is not gone.  The cause is not forgotten.  This 4 year journey will hold a very special place in my heart always...

But it's time to move on.  I have other things I feel called to focus on in the fight against cancer.  Stay tuned--I'm not done.  I will still need you.  But, my walking shoes have been retired...for now......

1 comment:

  1. Totally crying while reading this...you know how much I adore you or at least you should. I am so proud of you and I am so honored to have met you in DC and Walked with you again in San Diego. It has been an honor and a sincere privilage to know you and you helped me work through my grandmothers breast cancer more than you will ever know. Good Luck and whatever support you need for your next adventure please let me know.......Lindsay

    ReplyDelete