Thursday, October 28, 2010

Family Traditions

It's coming into the big holiday season & with the holidays come family traditions.  It's interesting to me, looking back, that as our family dynamics have changed, some of our traditions did as well.  Now that Joel & I have our own little family here, we've started a tradition--not really related to the holidays, but happened to fall just before the holidays this year--The Great Wolf Lodge Adventure.

Now, let me tell you the Great Wolf Lodge is a great family place.  We were introduced by friends back in 2005--Jackie was 2 1/2 yrs old & Josie was just 5 months old.  We took a weekend and drove to the Williamsburg location, which was brand new at the time.  It happened to be Mother's Day weekend and also my birthday when we went, so Joel had called ahead and surprised me with both a full body massage AND pedicure in the spa at the lodge.  I was still teaching full time then.  Joel had just gotten home from a 2-3 week tour, during which time I was still teaching, had both girls in the evenings and Josie was still nursing at night.  It had been a rough couple of weeks.  And he was so apologetic when he told me the only appointment for a pedicure was at 8:00.  Seriously?  On my first weekend with my husband home & my first opportunity to sleep in, I had to get up for an 8am pedicure?  But the thought was SO sweet, I couldn't complain & Saturday morning I woke up, showered, dried my hair and slipped out of the room while everyone else was still sleeping to get my feet pampered.  When I got to the spa down on the 1st floor, the doors were locked and all the lights were out.  There was one woman behind the desk inside so I knocked on the door.  When she came to open it, I told her I was there for my 8:00 appointment, to which she replied "We don't open till 9."  Hmmmm...after a quick look at her appointment book, she discovered that my sweet husband had misunderstood and the pedicure was for 8:00 P.M.  After MY apologies, I took the elevator back up to our room and walked in just as the troops were rising for the day.  I did not get to go back to sleep--instead enjoyed much fun at the water park that day and after dinner got to slip away for a delightful appointment with a quiet young lady who painted my toes pink that night.  When I returned to the room, both girls were asleep and hubby was waiting on the balcony with wine in hand.  What a sweet man.

Our tradition is that we have gone back every year.  We've just returned from our 6th trip to the Great Wolf Lodge.  The girls are getting braver with every visit.  And while some things are the same--many things change.  We joked this year about what age they will be when they'll be too old to go to the Great Wolf Lodge with mom and dad anymore.  I dread that day...but I savor all the sweet memories we're making each year on our traditional trip.  I hope one day we'll be able to keep the tradition going with extended family--as we take our kids AND grandkids to the water park for 3 days of SO MUCH FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment