Friday, November 5, 2010

November 5

For the first 19 years of my life November 5 was just another day--one day closer to my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving.  Then I met my dear friend, A, my sophomore year of college and learned it was her birthday.  For the next 7 years it was the day I got to wish A a Happy Birthday.  In 2004, my lovebug, Josie Mae, came into the world on November 5.   Now she shared her birthday with someone I love so much--an amazing day!  In 2007, November 5 was the day after I gave birth to Bubba Boy and we celebrated Josie's 3rd birthday.  One year later, on November 5, my worst fears began to unfold. 

It was 2 years ago today.  Joel had been home from fall tour for a few days & I had found a lump.  How could I have POSSIBLY found a lump when I had a bilateral mastectomy & implants, you might wonder?  Well, it was there, in the skin.  And I saw my surgeon on November 5--Josie's 4th birthday.  First he claimed he couldn't find the lump and asked me to point it out.  Then he assured me it was scar tissue & did an ultrasound in the patient room.  But, he decided to send me to radiology for a better ultrasound and further testing--just to make sure.  He sent me off with these words "Either they'll tell you it's scar tissue and you need to come back in 6 months for your next checkup OR they'll tell you it's nothing.  I'll probably see you in 6 months!"  For the next 6 hours I went from ultrasound to needle biopsy to mammogram (yup, it was a "pinched" mammo where the poor tech had to hold my implant out of the way to get a visual of the lump...very interesting).  The radiologist who read my films that day was the same one who told me in June of 2006 to have my first lump removed.  She came into the room & I was reading a Women's Day magazine.  The look on her face told me all I needed to know.  She sent me back to my surgeon to schedule a biopsy.  I didn't need to wait the next 7 weeks for the biopsy results to find out--I knew that day. 

November 5, 2008 was just the beginning of our second cancer tour. November 5, 2010 has been a completely WONDERFUL day with cupcakes at school & a friend home on the bus, dinner out & ice cream sundaes for dessert.  It's amazing to me how one day can hold so many memories and meanings for you while giving you so many mixed emotions. 



November 5--Happy Birthday A & Josie Mae and thank you to the docs who spent so much time with me on this day 2 years ago to make sure I got the best advice possible so I can see many more November 5 in the future.   

2 comments:

  1. Great picture and so glad you had a GREAT 2010 day! Only 2 weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that puts a smile on my face! Happy Birthday sweet Josie.

    ReplyDelete