Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Perspective

Perspective:  a specific point of view in understanding or judging things or events.

This word has come to mind several times in the past 4 years.  This week it's one of Jackie's vocabulary words at school.  It amazes me that some people make it to adulthood with the "bubble" they live in & the things that actually come out of their mouths.  I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round? 

Last summer I got a tattoo.  I honestly never wanted a tattoo.  But after my cancer journey decided it would be sometihng to serve as my "badge" of survival.  It was a gift to myself and I love it!


Just before I went to get it, I had someone say to me, "On your ankle?  That's gonna HURT!  Omygosh, are you sure you want it on your ankle?"  Hurt?  It's gonna hurt?  Let's get some perspective here--just weeks before this conversation I had my stomach cut from hip bone to hip bone and all the skin removed from my right breast, then replaced with the skin & tissue from my stomach.  I was in the hospital for 4 days, couldn't walk standing up straight for about 3 weeks and had 4 drains hanging from my breast and hips for 2 weeks.  A needle coloring on my ankle bone for 30 min is gonna HURT? 

I am also trying to gain an appropriate perspective going into my 60 mile walk next week.  I admit that I have lacked in training this year--I can give excuses, but I won't.  I am just not ready physically.  While talking with my team about blisters that we will most likely get within the first 5 miles (AHHHH!), I will have a mind over matter battle putting that "pain" into perspective.  Little J is still in the hospital undergoing treatment for her lukemia--she's been there for over 2 weeks now.  She's only 3 years old & being stuck with needles daily without a way to understand WHY (tho NONE of us can understand WHY).  When those blisters are bulging & the shin splints are screaming and my feet are cramping next weekend, I assure you that I will go further than I want to for little J.  She doesn't have a choice--neither will I.  

It's all about perspective. 


2 comments:

  1. You go, girl! You're going to have an awesome (albeit blistery) walk just like the last two years! I don't know this little J, but too am going to remind myself of her the next time I'm in pain, or irritated or mad at life in general. Thanks for the daily dose of perspective. ;) We all need reminding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is quite beautiful! i always thought tattoos were hot, much to the chagrin of my older daughter! good luck in San Diego Jenny, may the wind be at your back.

    ReplyDelete