Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Eight Year Old Wisdom

I'm standing in my bathroom getting ready this morning & out of nowhere, my 8 going on 30 year old daughter pops in because she wants to tell me something.

Now, as a side note here, we've just had a new baby cousin arrive in our world that has fascinated Jackie as she got to be around for big-belly-auntie & then to see multiple new baby pictures online & on my phone.  Knowing this child would come into the world with red hair, like Jackie, we have joked around about what a difficult baby she was.  I believe now that the difficult baby period is worth an easier elementary school age period vs my easy-peasy baby Josie who has been difficult & drama filled since she learned to talk.  So, Jackie's heard many stories about her colic and her tantrums in the past few weeks...

Sweet Baby Jackie in one of her easier moments.

Back to this morning as we're standing in the bathroom and my child says, "Mom, I know why I was such a bad baby now."  (By the way, I've never called her BAD)

"Oh yeah?  Why's that?"

"Well, because you didn't know what you were doing.  I was helping you learn.  I had to be bad so you wouldn't get all soft inside and so when you had another baby and then another baby and then stopped having anymore babies you would know how to deal with them.  I was just helping you out!  I was a SMART baby!"

"Really?"

"Yes.  Can I go outside to play now?"

Jackie is teaching us a lesson in the hospital room the day she met her new baby sister.
The wisdom ended as abruptly as it began.  Where this idea came from this morning, I have no idea.  But, she's got a point.  That kid is one smart cookie.

1 comment: