Monday, August 29, 2011

Earthquakes, Hurricanes & Nipples...

In the period of 7 days, we have experienced the first earthquake in the DC area since 1897, had the first day of the 2011-2012 school year with a 1st & 3rd grader, took cover for tornado watches & the wrath of Hurricane Irene, then wrapped up the week with the construction of my right nipple! 

So, let's start with last Tuesday when I'm sitting on the bed of my room, watching Hurricane Irene coverage with my oldest.  We're minutes away from getting in the car to go to the school & meet the girls' teachers.  Then there's shaking--Jackie & I look at each other confused.  But then the shaking gets worse & we realize what's happening.  The child tries to bolt from the room, but I grabbed her and we stood in the doorway of my bathroom until the shaking stopped.  Let me just give one word to the reaction to our first family earthquake--FREAK OUT.  Meet & Greet at the school is cancelled as the school needs to be inspected before anyone can be let back into the building.  Jackie cannot wrap her head around the concept of earthquakes NOT being predictable.  No one slept well that night....

Wednesday morning brought BACK TO SCHOOL!  The girls were nervous as they hopped on the big yellow bus, neither one knowing where their classroom was or anyone who would be in their class this year.  I spent the day worried for them, even though I knew they'd be fine.  Thankfully both girls came home thrilled to pieces with their teachers & classmates.  Early to bed that night....

Thursday I headed to the commissary to pick up a few things "just in case"...Friday, Joel grabbed some dog food & more gasoline for the generator.  Better to be over prepared, right?  Oh yeah, he also picked up extra batteries & a couple more flashlights, but guess what?  Of all the batteries he purchased, none were a 9 volt, which is what I need to quiet the damn smoke detector which has started "singing" on Friday!

Saturday morning my plans were messed up as the storm began earlier than I expected.  After a morning run in the rain & quick trip to a bbq to celebrate the end of summer, we came home to tornado watches.  Again, kids were bundles of nerves so we settled them for the night in the basement playroom.  About 9pm we lost power.  Hurricane Irene made herself known. 

Camping is fun.  My family loves to do it.  And we were prepared to be without power for 5-6 days with "camp" foods & paper plates....we were NOT prepared for the street 2 houses away to never lose power, however....

After 2 full nights with no electricity, we left the house this morning just KNOWING we would come home to power.  When we got home about 6:00 tonight & heard the familiar rumble of generators going up & down the street, it was really hard to be upset.  Why?  After I was so angry & grouchy last night?  Well, today I got my right nipple!  It's the first time in over 5 years that I've had two nipples.  It's the little things, folks.  I'll tell you all about this particular surgery another time--all I can say is EEEEK! 

But, tonight, I will go to bed feeling more whole than I have in years...

Tomorrow is a different story.  Between the lack of hot water for bathing & chirping of the smoke detector, I might just make the 6:00 news--stay tuned!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment