Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Countdowns....

We have multiple countdowns going on at my house right now...

Countdown to Race Day--3 days

Countdown to End of Tour--2.5 weeks

Countdown to 3 Day Walk--3.5 weeks

So...we've got a lot of things on the calendar right now.  But first on the list is Race Day--Saturday!  AH!  This one kinda snuck up on me.  I finished my CT5K training in the spring, ran my goal race (and finished it!!) in June, then immediately had surgery & 6 week recovery...which turned into a summer long recovery.  We hit the pavement again in August but this training season has been a tad shorter for me because of another surgical procedure which kept me from running for 2 weeks and the fact that my goal race is 3 weeks earlier than the rest of my team!  I will be starting Day 3 of my 60 mile walk on the morning that the NoVA/DC Cancer to 5K team races.  This Saturday with HoCo and Baltimore CT5K it is....

"I often hear someone say I'm not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner."--Bart Yasso

This quote made me laugh because you all have heard me say that more than once.  I am not a fast runner & as Coach reminds me, I am not getting graded.  But as much as I deny it, I am a runner.

Saturday I will be running with a group of cancer survivors & volunteers all of whom are complete strangers to me.  But, even as nervous as I am, it can't possibly be more scary than having someone tell you that you have cancer--or that you have cancer AGAIN, right? 

Well, I'm excited to see what my body can do Saturday--after our mid-season 12 minute test just 2 weeks ago, I already know that I can do more than I thought I would at this point with all my set backs.  I am also beyond thrilled that my dear friend, M.H., will be running by my side!  It's quite a relief knowing there will be a friendly face to cheer me on for however long it takes me to get thru the course.  Ultimately I want to finish the race without walking--but it sure would be great to beat my June time....we'll see what happens. 

3 days to go..................

No comments:

Post a Comment