Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cancer Blows

Let me just start by stating the obvious--Cancer Blows.  My favorite line from an upcoming breast cancer awareness movie trailer goes "I hate my thighs!  Why couldn't I have thigh cancer?"  Now that's what I'm talkin' about....
But October is all about the Tatas.  And it's always one heck of a month for me--#1 My husband travels a great deal of October for work every year.  #2 I'm bombarded by pink & the awareness of that little "c" word that has followed my family around for the past 5 years.

I've learned a few things since that day--July 7, 2006.
  • Doctors are not perfect.
  • Go with your gut.
  • Peace of mind is a great reason to do whatever you think you should do.
  • You ARE worth it.
  • You DO deserve the best care.
  • 2nd opinions are not luxuries.
  • You know your body best.
  • People will listen if you say it out loud.
  • You're never "not at risk".
I fought back in 2006 with a bilateral mastectomy & then followed my doctors orders at my 1 month post-op appointment, even when I questioned his advice.  Eighteen months later, when the cancer was discovered again & that same doctor insisted that the pathology reports were wrong and he was right...I fought again for a 2nd opinion.  When that 2nd opinion agreed to further treatment, I fought for 2 more years through 6 more surgeries.  

And now I fight to get the word out.  My 8 year old daughter came to me concerned because she felt "something" in her breast a couple weeks ago.  She was so worried.  She's been listening.  It was nothing.  But why is only an 8 year old hearing our fight?  Everyone needs to take charge & not be afraid to own their own health.  

This will be my 4th year walking in the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer 3 Day walk--60 miles over 3 days.  We raise thousands of dollars every year as a team.  Along the way to our fundraising goal, we're educating--passing along the important information of breast awareness.  One of our favorite events is our Save the Ta-tas poker tournament.  

If loving Ta-tas is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
Totally Tubular Ta-tas
This event brings friends together to raise money for important breast cancer research.  Everyone comes in their favorite Save the Ta-tas gear & our winner picks out a t-shirt from www.savethetatas.com as their prize.  That purchase from the Save the Ta-tas site also generates funds that are donated back to research for breast cancer.  While I know that I am very open about my surgeries, my scars & my resulting "ta-tas", the gear we have purchased from the Save the Ta-tas site (everything from t-shirts/tank tops to bracelets & car magnets) provides my husband & me a way to keep the topic in the forefront of every one's minds, even when it's NOT pink October!   You can't help but smile when someone sees my husband's bracelet --I love (.Y.)--and they get it!  (Btw, one lucky fan will be receiving one of these tshirts to have for your very own.....just leave a comment on this entry & I'll choose one winner!)


Save a Life.  Grope your wife.

Princess Ta-tas & Ta-tas make me happy.


It's a simple fact that cancer blows.  For me, breast cancer happens to be the cancer that hits too close to home.  Do what you can to support a great cause--pink ribbons are pretty, but www.savethetatas.com makes them fun too!  


9 comments:

  1. My son now proudly wears a pink bracelet! So many people love and support me but with my son, the compassion and love couldn't be stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tatas poker tournament.
    Keep up the fight!
    Blessings,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you from a " survivor sister" for all you do to spread the word. My hubby is also an advocate for telling people my story and how important it is to do your exams and listen to your body...I found my lump and even though the Dr who read my mammogram told me it was nothing to worry about I didn't listen to him and had a biopsy done anyway. I had stage III breast cancer!! Listen to your body and follow your gut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is So inspiring! From the first time I saw save the Tata's I loved it I would love love lovee to have a t-shirt that says it!! And the susan b Coleman walk has been on my bucket list for a while! I pray for all those effected by cancer every day and night! =D

    Love,
    Kelsey Alewine
    924221679@gsc.edu

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the (.Y.) t-shirt and love that you are kicking cancers butt. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so beautiful! I have my mammogram on Monday. I've been getting them every year since I turned 30. My mother was diagnosed in June 2006. the same week I gave birth to my daughter. Cancer does blow.
    It also sucks big hairy monkey balls.
    thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breast Cancer does suck!!!!! I know first hand, and learned a year ago this Thanksgiving. I am fighting the fight and would love a shirt for my significant other!!! Rita at griggs@netcommander.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your story and I couldn't imagine doll. You are by far a Beautifully Strong and Courageous Woman. Its people like you that inspire me and I thank you for that:) Keep up the up the fight :) I walked in my first Breast Cancer Awareness Walk this year with a very close friend of mine that sadly we lost her mother this June 16th who had been battling since last may :( The walk was very bittersweet, but we know "Ritz" was with us every step of the walk just like she is everyday. Keep your Beautiful head held high. Im also glad you have such a wonderful support system as well, thanks again for sharing and have a Blessed Day Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Jenny! I had a lot of entries to catch up on and they are all so touching. Love you (and your tatas)!

    ReplyDelete