Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lessons Learned

This weekend we watched the movie Soul Surfer--the story about the surfer whose arm was bitten off by a shark & she still continues to surf.  I wanted my girls to get the message about not letting anything get in the way of following & achieving your dreams.  I wanted them to see that they could make anything happen if they wanted it bad enough.  I wanted them to know that they are in control of what they do with their life & only they can make it happen.  You know, all that "feel good" stuff that these movies are about, right?

As the credits were rolling, I told the girls "See, wasn't that great?  You can do anything--you just have to want it & believe you can!"  And then I asked them what lesson they learned from the movie.

My sweet Josie Mae--without any hesitation or even a crack of a smile--says with all the seriousness in the world..."I learned that I am not gonna put my arm in the water if I'm in the middle of the sea."

I laughed till I had tears rolling down my face.  That's not exactly what I'd hoped she would get from the film...but she's 6, so what can I expect.  Especially when I told her dad her reaction and all he said was "That makes sense to me."  Ahhhhhhh.......

No comments:

Post a Comment