Friday, March 23, 2012

And the Answer Is....

I got an email newsletter this week & the subject was "What word describes your marriage?"    And I just can't stop thinking about it.

Actually, I am reminded of a night playing "The Newlywed Game" with friends about 6 years ago.  Do you remember that game?  The wives are asked a question & they write their answer down.  Then the husbands are asked the same question & if you answer the same, you get points.  We were playing with another couple that had been married a tad longer than us, a true newlywed couple & a newly engaged couple.  The question:  What movie title best describes your marriage?  The couple who had only been married a couple of months was the only one to match their answers & get points.
Their answer?  Mission Impossible.

I don't remember what my husband answered--tho I'm sure if I think about it long enough I can remember what he was wearing (I know some of you are NOT surprised about this...).  But I remember my answer:   It's A Wonderful Life.  And I recall there was a round of "awwwwwwwww" that echoed around the room when I reveled my answer.  But this was a time before our health journey that challenged our relationship so deeply to the core over the past 6 years.

The question I have not been able to shake this week is not a movie title, but rather just one word.  In terms of movie titles, I'd have to agree that my answer has not changed.  It is STILL very much a wonderful life.  But what's the word?  How do you describe what we have here on Easy Street in just one little word?  How is it possible that one word can hold all that we have created?  Our 13th wedding anniversary is next month.  We have been a couple for 16 1/2 years.  Last year I attempted to describe the timeline of everything we've encountered in our first 12 years of marriage when I wrote on my man's Facebook wall on our anniversary date.  In short, we've been through a lot.  And like any relationship, we've had our ups & downs.

But, at the end of the day, when I go to bed at night & I reflect on the fights, the tears, the hugs, the smiles, the happiness, the journeys, the pain, the joy, the treasures, the life we have created together...I have to say the one word that describes our marriage is Always.  The thing is...no matter what has happened, is happening, or will happen...our marriage will be.  Always.









No comments:

Post a Comment