Thursday, January 5, 2012

It's a NEW YEAR!

Well, I'm 5 days into the new year & I figured it was time to get back on the blogging wagon!  Just wanted to provide an update for those who might still be "staying tuned" to my new cancer fighting adventures for 2012.  I put my walking shoes away & retired as a 3 Day walker....for now.  I'm not saying I'll never walk again, but  it's not on my radar.  I have some incredible memories that will live in my heart forever because of my 4 year experience.

BUT......my new thing is the running.  As you may, or may not know, I began training with a group last spring called Cancer to 5K.  WOW.  Feel free to go back in my archives to read about that experience.  I trained with the group for 2 seasons, completed my first ever 5Ks in June & then October, gained new friends & learned A.LOT. about myself!  SO.......this year I have joined Team Fight.

What's Team Fight?


TEAM FIGHT, a program of The Ulman Cancer Fund,  is a motivated group of great people of all ages and abilities training to support young adults and their loved ones affected by cancer.
Why We FIGHT
  • We FIGHT because there are over 70,000 young adults diagnosed with cancer each year.
  • We FIGHT because survival rates have NOT increased for young adults in over 35 years.
  • We FIGHT because we want to raise awareness.
  • We FIGHT because we care and want to make a difference.

Joel & I were first introduced to the Ulman Cancer Fund back in the spring of 2009 when I won tickets to their annual silent auction fundraiser & got to meet Vern Yip. 

Me & Vern

Joel checking out the goods at the Silent Auction
The Ulman Cancer Fund also funds the Cancer to 5K program, which now holds a very special place in my life. I have joined Team Fight to challenge myself a bit further this year.  What's better than a CHALLENGE?!?!  And...well...I set the bar high.  I'm a tad nervous, but if you recall my feelings just after registering to join the CT5K team & then look at the outcome, I know it will all be Just. Fine. 

I am registered to race in June's Survivor Harbor 7--yep, that's 7 miles.  And yep, I've never run more than a 5K at one time...but in March 2011 I couldn't run more than 1 minute without feeling like my lungs were about to explode.  This is about pushing myself out of my comfort zone, right?  Eh...ask me about this in about April...

I have also done something I really hope doesn't embarrass me in the end--my name is on the list to run in the Baltimore Running Festival's Half Marathon in October.  Yes...you read that right.  Yes, that's A. LOT. of miles for the girl who can barely get thru a 5K.  

So, I know you're on pins & needles here.  This year I don't need to raise $2300 to walk 60 miles.  Instead, I'm running--not quite 60 miles, but enough to scare me a little.  The fundraising for Team Fight is minimal but goes to the Ulman Cancer Fund which in turn funds things like the CT5K program for young adult cancer survivors.  How can you help?  First of all, keep me in your thoughts & prayers as I train. I have already been running (today is Day 2 on my training schedule for the new year) to build up to my first hurdle of 7 miles in June.  If running in 29 degree temps with blustery winds is any indication of my dedication to making this happen, I think I'll be OK!  But you can also go to my personal Team Fight fundraising page to help with a small donation as well.  Every little bit helps, so please help me support this incredible organization while I also embrace the new changes in my life.  

At 12:01am, January 1, 2012, I kissed my honey & declared that this was going to be our best year yet.  We acknowledged that this is the first year we're starting without hospital visits already on the books since 2005.  The past is what it is.  It can't be changed.  It makes us who we are.  And I'm so excited to be who I am & see all there is ahead!  

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment