Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Other Side...

For the first time in the 15 years we've been together, I was on the other side of the patient/caregiver relationship with my husband.  He's held my hand & endured being called nasty names during my 3 child labors.  He sacrificed a cozy bed at home just so I had some company for 12 full days in the past 3 years during different overnight hospital stays.  He's been my advocate--whether it's insisting to the nurse that I am, in fact, progressing faster in my labor than they think I am, demanding a pillow for my head after a bilateral mastectomy or fighting for appropriate time off from work to help me with my recoveries.  He's pretty much my knight in shining armor, so I had alot to live up to. 


Yesterday, Joey had his vasectomy.  And while I teased him that he would get NO sympathy from me, I admit that I would rather have done it for him.  I just can't stand seeing anyone I love in pain.  So, I was the loving wife who got up at 6:30 am to take my man to his procedure at the National Naval Medical Center.  After sitting in the pre-preop area where we've been together so many hours before (tho in reversed positions & ME complaining of hunger pains), it was finally his turn.  They told me he'd be an hour and 1/2--while the actual procedure was only 20 min, the ER prep requires more time than usual.  I had a nice walk around the base, stopping for some lunch & a quick stroll thru the base exchange.  When I returned to the hospital, it was only a few minutes before I got the call on my cell that he was ready and waiting. 

We didn't make it home until after 2pm.  It had been a long day.  I got him all set with his peas on the couch while he settled in for some football.  My job was to keep the kids away from him, switch out his peas as they started to thaw and make sure he had a fresh beer as needed.  He got a home cooked dinner of meatloaf, mashed potatoes (not even the instant kind--these were the peel, boil & physically MASH kind!), green beans & garlic bread then went to bed with some tylenol with codine to make his night pass smoothly. 

I am happy to report that he's been quite the trooper--so much better than I ever am as HIS patient!  But it's been quite the experience being on the other side...

No comments:

Post a Comment