Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Did you hear?

Yep, I'm doing it again.  I have committed to the torture for another 12 weeks & we're already in Week 5!   

Now, I have to admit that after taking the summer off because of surgery & then laziness, I was excited to join the Cancer to 5K team again for the fall season.  And after we had been back to running for about 3 weeks, I had my nipple reconstructed which meant no running again for 2 weeks.  I missed it.  What?   I missed the running.  Let me explain myself...

I still think running is kinda silly.  Tonight--I came in all hot & sweaty & actually said "Running is so stupid."  BUT...(hang on Coach Bob...) while I was out of running commission the past 2 weeks Coach had me doing some serious speed walking.  Yep--I, too, was reminded of Malcolm's dad in Malcolm in the Middle.  And I was supposed to walk using the same body form as running, but while walking briskly--faster & faster & faster--for 4 min intervals, then 2 minutes of regular walking.  The first night I couldn't find a good stride & my shins started screaming.  By the end of the 2nd week of this brisk walking business, I was fighting myself in my head to NOT run.  I keep hearing Coach saying "faster, faster, faster" and I keep thinking "I'd be GOING faster if I was just RUNNING!"  And it was so frustrating...

So, today, when my prescribed workout arrived--2 weeks post nipple reconstruction--I was actually anxious to get out there and RUN again!  Because I missed it.

October 15--the Baltimore 5K that I will be running as my goal race--is creeping up real fast.  It would be nice to run this one faster than the one in June....but also ok if I don't.  Because here's the thing I discovered today.  I might be a little bit addicted to running. Even if it's slow, I know it's doing this ol' girl some good--good for the body & the spirit!   Don't believe me?  Next time you're having a stressful day, gimme a ring & I'll pass along today's workout.  Betcha you'll feel better afterward too!  Even if running is kinda silly....






No comments:

Post a Comment