Friday, January 28, 2011

Happiness

I was driving in the car with my girls the other night when we noticed the beautiful full moon.  Josie says, "Momma, I can't decide if I want to be an astronaut or a farmer when I grow up.  What do you think I should be?" 

I answered as simply as I could, "You should be whatever makes you happy."


My Happiness

I don't remember having long, in depth conversations with my parents about my future & what I wanted to be when I grew up.  For as long as I can remember, I just always knew I wanted & would be a teacher.  I would sneak into my mom's closet & slip on her high heeled shoes pretending to be a teacher in our basement.  I loved the sound the clippy cloppy made on the concrete floor & reminded me of being in class.  In high school I participated in after school programs in the elementary schools working with at-risk youth.  In college, my job list included 3 different day care centers.  I loved being a teacher & I was really good at it.  It made me happy for several years. 

But then I had Jackie & what made me happy changed.  I think that's ok.  I believe it takes a brave person to stop mid-career & make a bold change for the sake of happiness.  My choice has maybe not paid us as well as continuing my teaching career, but if I had it to do all over, I'd do the same thing.

That's the funny thing about happiness.  Only you can figure out how to make it for yourself & truly money can't buy it for you.  Be brave.  Be bold.  Be Happy!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, I was 32 with two little girls when I decided to go to grad school for social work. I had worked as a nurse before that and a lot of people thought i was crazy to let go of my profession and commute 150 mi a couple times a week to do this. I have never regretted it.

    ReplyDelete