Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My House

I love our house.  It's not new or fancy or huge.  But it's my J5 House.  And before it was our house, it was the house of the family who built it in 1978 & raised their family here.  I looked at this house with my mother-in-law, brother-in-law & a 18 month old Jackie Sue while pregnant with Josie.  Joel was working the day we went out with the realtor & when we stepped into this house, the sellers were just on their way out.  They met us & we learned that they were teachers moving to Virginia to be closer to their grown children & grandson who happened to be Jackie's age.  They also let our realtor know that while it was not yet reflected in the system, they had just spoken to their agent that morning and lowered their asking price on the home.  After seeing many homes that day, it was this one & one other that I wanted to show Joel. 



We put an offer in on our house the next morning & over the phone with their realtor the sellers accepted our offer.  Before they were able to meet & sign the paperwork, another offer came in & refelected the higher asking price.  They legally were able to take either offer.  Which one would YOU take?  The one that was $20,000 more?  Or the one that was from the adorable family of the teacher with kids the same age as your grandchildren?   As luck would have it, they picked us. 

On the day of the inspection Mrs. H. took me around the house and told me when she planted each tree & bush, what kind they were, how to care for them, etc.  They took us through the house & showed us everything we needed to know about the house.  We're very proud they picked us to raise our family in their house. 

Here were are 6 1/2 years later & many things in the house have changed.  We replaced the carpet in the family room, Joel finished the rest of the basement into 2 extra rooms--an office for me & a playroom for the children, Joel gutted our masterbath and tiled the whole room, we knocked out a wall between the dining room & kitchen to create one large kitchen area and Joel built a playset in the backyard.  Just last month we hired someone to cut down one of Mrs. H's trees that had grown in a way that threatened the neighbor's roof. 

The day the guys came to cut down the tree, I wondered outloud how in the WORLD they would be able to get the top branches down without dropping them on my house.  Josie watched out her bedroom window, just feet from the tree & said "Momma, if they drop the tree on the house, I'll let you know."  Thanks.:)

I just love our house.  And I love all the people who are in it...

No comments:

Post a Comment