Friday, August 27, 2010

Family Movies & Word Families

Tonight we celebrated the end of the first week of school with a family movie.  We had checked out the movie Goonies from the library last weekend so tonight we got to sit down and watch it.  It was made 25 years ago--I still remember going to the movie theater to see it with my neighbors.  My mom still tells the story about my neighbor's mom coming home and being horrified at the language in the movie.  Well....let's just say that I had forgotten how many times they say S%#!  All in all, the girls enjoyed the movie--we had a few great laughs.  It's so fun to watch them giggle.:)
Well, I know my girls know that word is not appropriate.  But, we watched this movie 2 years too late for me to blame it for Jackie's word family incident in Kindergarten.  For those that missed THAT story...I showed up to volunteer for the afternoon and the class was still at recess.  Jackie's teacher, an old coworker of mine, started giggling and said she needed to share a story with me.  She would've called me the night before but knew I was coming in the next day and wanted to see my face in person.  During reading groups the day before they were talking about the "it" word family.  There were 4 or 5 children (THANKFULLY) in Jackie's group working with Ms. K.  The task at hand was to take the dry erase board and add a letter to the front of the "it" to make a new word in the word family.  Someone wrote "hit", another wrote "lit" and then Jackie wrote....yes, you know...."shit".  When Ms. K. saw it she gasped and said "Jackie, do you know that word is not appropriate?"  She smiled and said "Noooo," while another child says outloud "Shit?  What is shit?  What does shit mean?" 

So, yeah, I'm THAT mom.  And that's MY kid.  Thankfully Jackie's teacher has a good sense of humor and I happened to know the mom of the other child who apparently had never heard the word before.  I politely approached her at the next school event and told her if he started saying it at home she could just call and blame me.  Fortunately she just laughed.:) 

So, now Josie is in Kindergarten--word families will be learned this year.  Wonder what stories she'll provide...

No comments:

Post a Comment