Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School

Today my little love bug had her first day of Kindergarten.  After her drama at orientation yesterday, I was a bit concerned about today, but it went off without a hitch! 



6:30am our alarm clock goes off.  Of course we hit snooze.  So when we got up at 6:37am and went to the girls' room to wake them up, we found them both in Jackie's top bunk fully dressed.  They claimed they don't remember getting up to get dressed, but we knew better--these are 2 very excited little girls. 

Now, let me take you back to last night when we were picking out these clothes.  First thing Jackie picked was a green school tshirt and orange striped shorts.  I told her she couldn't wear the shorts because they're too short for school, plus they don't match and she said "Who cares, mom!  It's only school!"  So, I guess I am not going to have to worry about her being "hung up" on her clothes?  Then, the tshirt she put on when she woke up got yogurt spilled on it, to which she said "Who cares mom!  No one will care if I wear a dirty shirt to school!"  Then the 2nd shirt she put on she got toothpaste all over and again "MaaaahhhhMMMMM! People will think it's just PAINT!"  And when we finally settled on the THIRD shirt of the day, she made it all the way home with nothing on it.

Both girls rushed off the bus--Jackie declared that she had two BFF's this year.  And when we asked Josie if she'd played with her friend Diego at school today she said, "No, I played with my new best friend!"  Joel said, "Oh really?  What's her name?"  And her response was "I dunno." 

But I guess that really isn't important.  What's important is that they found other little people who were having the same excited & nervous feelings today and they made it through the day together.  Knowing they've got a long year ahead of them, it's nice to know they've got friends to take the journey with them. 

As for this momma, I am proud of them both for being so brave as I remember how scary the first day of school can be.  And I savored EVERY SINGLE moment of Bubba's naptime when the house was so silent I could ACTUALLY hear myself think today.  This is just the first day of a great school year....

No comments:

Post a Comment