Sunday, August 15, 2010

One in three...

June 30, 2006: I underwent a minor outpatient procedure to remove a benign lump from my right breast. It was growing mysteriously so my "gut" told me to just have it removed. We'd been watching it for years and now it was time to have it go away.

July 7, 2006: I was at the hospital to have my stitches removed. Joel was home with the girls (18 mo and 3yr old) getting ready for his concert that night and our trip home to MO the next day. I was wearing yellow capris & my tshirt from Beliz when the doc turned around in his chair and said this to me..."Jennifer, I just got the pathology from your surgery. You're not going to hear anything else after I tell you this so it's important for you to know that you're going to be ok. You have cancer." And he's right--the rest is a blur. I had to call Joel from my cell to tell him I was going to be late getting home and when he asked why, I had to tell him OVER THE PHONE that I had cancer.

So it's true--one in three women will have cancer in their lifetime. In my family the women include me, my sister, my mom, my maternal grandmother, paternal grandmother & one aunt. Just last month we found out my maternal grandmother has colon cancer--probably an advanced stage. That's 2 out of 6...or 1 in 3. One in three...a statistic again.

No comments:

Post a Comment