Sunday, August 15, 2010

Suits & Undies

Here's the deal. I am a planner with a capital P--I have to have a plan, in advance...Joel calls it anal. I call it responsible. Joel is NOT a planner. He's a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants kinda guy, in all situations. So he's been asked to stand up for our friend T in his upcoming wedding. Suits were purchased & distributed months ago. Joel received his and while the waist was a TAD snug, he decided it would work and he brought it home. Fast forward--10 days before the wedding. Joel comes into my office, in the middle of a business presentation, snooping all around my desk. He "signs" to me that he needs safety pins. His pants are too LONG. So now he's walking around the house shirtless in his suit pants, doing lunges, to "stretch" them out a bit and make them more comfortable. And he wants ME--with NO sewing skills to my name--to pin his pants so a friend at work can hand sew them for him. Um, NO. "You only have 10 days, start making calls..."--this is MY advice as I look up alterations in the phone book. His response is "I still have 10 WHOLE days, Jenny. No need to panic." And so the story goes like this. I find a friend of a friend who offers to help us out while he takes the pants to work on the off chance that the retired lady MIGHT be in the office that day and will POSSIBLY be willing to help him out with hemming the pants. She's there and she says she'll do it for $5 and bring them back next Tuesday...just 3 days before we leave for the wedding. Ok, he's got it under control....until Tuesday comes and he makes a special trip to work to find the pants are NOT there. And to make this story even more fun, he doesn't have her phone number OR the phone number of anyone else who might have it. YAY! Visions of my husband standing at the alter in his suit jacket, blue shirt, tie, black socks, black shoes and the tighty whities that his MOMMA bought him for his 34th birthday (yes, a great subject for another day...) are running thru my head! The bride, K, has been SO calm and collected through all of the planning but this one might make her head spin. As luck would have it, the following day Joel was able to reach someone at work who happened to know a way to get ahold of the lady with the pants and they are now in our possession again. I know you won't believe this, but we leave for the wedding TOMORROW and he still hasn't tried them on to make sure the hem is correct. Are you surprised? Me either.

No comments:

Post a Comment