Sunday, August 15, 2010

The true Test of a Marriage...

In our 11 years of marriage we've moved 4 times, renovated 2 houses almost completely, traveled cross country with 1-3 children twice a year for 8 years, survived the hormones of pregnancy 3 times, 2 rounds of breast cancer, a kidney stone & a partridge in a pear tree. Ok, maybe not that last part, but you get my point. There have been some ups & downs, words said that we wanted to take back, tears shed, some truly dark times. But the true test of our marriage is...HAIR DAY. Being the awesome wife & mom that I am (it's true, I've been told), I try not to spend alot of money on me. I am not a complete diva--while I splurge on a new pair of flip flops from time to time, I do not go crazy spending money on my looks. However, I like my hair. I like a nice highlight from time to time. And I have this amazing girl who is hip & fun & really expensive so I only go about 3x's a year. Well, this summer we've had trip after trip after trip to clean out our bank account so I have attempted a way to save $ by getting a cheaper cut from a local walk-in place. Which ended up quite eventful when a tornado ripped thru town and we all ended up in the bathroom out back. Today we are doing the highlights--at home, courtesy of my not-at-all patient husband. And here's where the war of the words comes into play--now that he's in charge of doing something he doesn't enjoy & is not an expert at, he's upset I'm not getting it done professionally at over $100 more than the box I got from WalMart. I'm hearing him talk to my HAIR as if it has just killed his puppy in cold blood. "Get out of there you F'er" and "This is f'ing ridiculous!" but my favorite is "This is f'ing horses**t" Then, I hear "What the F? Are you KIDDING ME? WHY GOD?" So, I literally type this as he's making my eyes water & I wonder if we'll survive this day....

I just have to say that as he stands here in his white undershirt, scruffy face & Homer Simpson jams, I couldn't be more in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment