Sunday, August 15, 2010

Not your Momma's Sloppy Joes

My husband are living a great life. An average work week for him looks like this: Rehearsal M, T, W, Th 9:30-12:30 and F 8pm concert...you do the math...this is actually MORE than he usually works & that's less than 15 hours for the whole week. When he's done with rehearsal at 12:30, most days he plays raquetball with his friends for an hour or so and is home by 2ish where he takes a quick shower and then proceeds to nap until the school bus arrives at 3:15 during the school year. Not a bad life:) And I honestly can't complain because I am my own boss. I get to spend time with my kids everyday & create my own work schedule. As a part of us "sharing" the parenting responsibilities, we have different "jobs" at home. Twice a month I sit down and create a dinner menu for the next 2 weeks. I list what we will eat with each meal and then create the corresponding grocery list to make sure those items are in our home when we're ready to eat them. I also do the actual shopping twice a month--a several hour ordeal driving to the commissary, doing my shopping, standing in line, paying, then driving home to unload everything. Joel HATES that job. And I don't like him having that job because he never sticks to the list & as a result he always BLOWS our grocery budget. The job he doesnt' mind is cooking dinner--as long as he doesn't have to decide what he's making. This routine has worked out beautifully for us until recently. In my attempt, again, to stay within budget, I ONLY purchase the exact ingredients needed to specific recipes on the dinner menu. When I buy a green pepper for a chicken kabob recipe & then he decides he wants to cut it up to eat with PIZZA one night, you might see where this is irritating. His response "Oh, we'll use the red pepper and it'll be fine." THEN, there's the sloppy joes tonight. Typically Joel makes our sloppy joes by browning some ground turkey, then adding his own mixture of brown sugar, bbq sauce & ketchup. The menu this week listed "Sloppy Joes & French Fries" as an option & tonight he came upstairs to fix it. When he called "DINNER!" and I came upstairs, this is what I found...a bowl with browned crumbled ground turkey--plain, with nothing on it, bottles of mustard, bbq sauce & pickles, green beans and instant mashed potatoes. The girls said "I thought we were having slopppy joes!" He said "This is a NEW WAY" Um, I challenge you to attempt to eat crumbled meat with bbq sauce on the bun and see how much of the crumbled meat stays IN the bun w/out anything holding it together. Our dinner ended with 2 very frustrated girls and a boy who had his meat on his plate with mustard & pickly ONLY on his bun. Like I said, we are living a great life...I just might have to have him go live his somewhere else if he keeps being so difficult......

No comments:

Post a Comment