Sunday, August 15, 2010

Tri...do you mean TRY?

So, earlier this summer I was invited to a bridal shower for a dear friend. Joel & I have been friends with the groom for nearly 11 years so that's how I came to know the bride, K. As I arrived, I was taken around to meet the bride's friends. I realized very quickly that less than 1/2 of the room was married & only 2 of us were moms (the other mom is another long time friend of the groom). Now, let me set this up for you a bit further--the women, single and/or childless, were either friends of K from law school OR part of her & T's life in the local triathalon club. Enter WAHM of three...which one of these things is not like the other? The natural question of the friends as I was introduced as an "old" friend of the groom was "So, are you part of the tri-club?" I'm standing there in my $3 Kmart dress with my $12 Kohl's sparkly flip flops with my thighs rubbing together & arms that keep waving even after I stopped moving my arm & I laugh OUT LOUD. "ME? TRI-club? Only if by tri you mean my trio of trouble that I run around after all day, everyday. Or by tri you mean TRY to survive the day w/out an alcoholic drink before 5pm...No, this lady doesn't do tri club type of activities." I guess I should be flattered that they even asked, but I know better. I know they were just trying to make conversation. So, bless their hearts...enjoy the freedom you have to run 20 miles just because you want to, or ride your bike for 120 miles on a Sat afternoon because it's beautiful outside...I'll let you keep the triathalon skills to yourselves why I compete in the triathalon I call life!

No comments:

Post a Comment