Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Commitment

My Webster's New World dictionary defines commitment as a pledge or promise to do something.  I like this definition.  You see, commitment has come up as a topic of conversation alot lately.

For 7 years I have committed my time to my own business.  I commit time from my family, time from watching TV and just simply reaching my personal goals.  It's not easy to be your own boss, set your own goals & hold yourself accountable to yourself!  But I'm committed for my family.  I am committed because I love what I do & I want my kids to know they can do anything they set their minds to.  They have to have a little will power, maybe some stubborness (which I don't think they'll have a problem with) and COMMITMENT!  Jackie has been saying she wants to be a veterinarian since she was 3 yrs old.  Yes, she's gotta lot of life before she makes that decision for sure, but with an aunt who committed her life to medicine, she has a great role model to show her what that commitment means--lots of years of school, little lady!  If she's willing to commit to that goal, I know she will achieve it.

I recently had a conversation with a friend about marriage.  Now there's another commitment that I took 11 years ago.  I've recently been talking to Joel about renewing our vows--maybe have a big ol' party at 15 years!  Wanna come??:)  Well, I realized in attending a couple dear friends' weddings this year that the vows we took in April of 1999 mean something completely different now that we've LIVED them than they did the day we committed them to each other.  I cannot hold back the tears when I hear the traditional vow "in sickness & in health"  All those years ago we never could have imagined how much those words would ring true for us as a married couple.  I want my children to learn that even when there's anger & hard times that our vows were our committment to work through it.  I hope they go into their own relationships in the VERY FAR future with that same dedication.

For the past 3 years I've walked in the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer 3 Day.  This event requires LOTS of commitment!  First of all, you commit to raising $2300 just to qualify to walk!  This was a tad intimidating to me the first time I signed up, but I pledged to make it happen in time & I did.  It never occured to me, it simply never crossed my mind, that I might not get enough money.  I just didn't know exactly how I would do it, but the commitment was there.  Now after you have your qualifying money, it's a commitment of WALKING 60 miles.  That's 60 miles--or 22, 22 & 16 miles for 3 consecutive days.  SIXTY MILES!  I thought it would be no problem--I was in good shape that first year...it's just walking, right?  You know what's harder than walking 60 miles for the first time?  Making a commitment to walk 60 miles AGAIN!  Seriously--because you already know what it's going to feel like...your feet are hurting before opening ceremonies start, your muscles are screaming NOOOO, and your blisters are doing the happy dance because they know they're going to have a party on your feet in just a matter of a few hours! 

Commitment--a pledge or promise to do something.  I'll tell you, these 3 commitments are 3 of the best ones I ever made.  A couple of years ago Jackie started dancing in a new dance studio and mid way thru the year she decided she didn't enjoy it very much anymore.  This was the perfect opportunity for me to teach her about commitment and share my examples--she was already choreographed into the final recital, mom & dad had already paid for her to attend the classes & recital, and she needed to follow thru with the commitment she made at the beginning of the year.  I'm so proud of her--she was the cutest little blue bird in the Cinderella recital.  And one day she'll be able to share that experience of HER commitment with her children. 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Jen. I love the way you write and I love your thoughts on commitment and your personal examples. You're leading the way for so many people in various ways!

    ReplyDelete